Sunday, January 01, 2012

My Word of the Year is. . .


Writers are all about words; how you put them together in a sentence; how those words blend together to convey a thought or feeling. So it’s not surprising that an article by a brilliant writer on the process of selecting one word that would be a touchstone for the year to come would make such an impact on the writer in me.

The first time I did this a few years back, I knew instantly what my word would be--I’d been struggling to finish my book and figured it might take an act of Congress(and we know how SLOW those guys are!) to get it done. So it didn’t take a


rocket scientist to know I needed PERSEVERANCE. I mean, it made sense--I needed something to put my backside in a chair and write, and amazingly enough, having that word pushed me toward finishing my novel and eventually publication.


This year, I’ve been having trouble coming up with a word to focus on. Not sure why, really--I’ve spent more time with my dictionary this year than I have some of my oldest friends. I’ve prayed about it, thought about it and yet, that special word alluded me. Finally, like any writer who gets stuck, I ‘brainstormed’ with my husband and as I talked about what I hoped to accomplish this year, my word became very clear.


RELATIONSHIPS


Now, that may seem like an odd word to focus on, but the more I thought and prayed about about it, it seemed perfect. I want so much to work on my relationships--with my God, with my family and friends. With my editor(who is the absolute BEST!) and fellow writers because if Hillary Clinton thought it took a village to raise a child, I’m here to tell you it takes a group of talented people to help a person put together a book.



And with my readers. I want you to know me, to pray for this writing ministry God has pressed upon my heart. So every Monday and Thursday, I’ll be blogging on a wide range of subjects from the craft of writing to watching your kids fly the coup and everything in between.


The good, the bad and the funny.

2 comments:

Carrie Turansky said...

Relationships is a great word and concept to focus on this year! That's what really matters. Enjoy all those precious people in your life.
Happy New Year,
Carrie

Critty Joy (Christy) said...

What a wonderful word! And something so wonderful to focus on this year. I imagine if we focus on relationships intentional it would be forever changing in our lives and our hearts :)